Flakey rough puff pastry wrapped around fruity, cheesy, chestnut sausagemeat
- For the rough puff pastry:
- 250g plain flour
- 250g cold, unsalted butter
- 125g cold water
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 6 tsp cranberry sauce
- 350g packet of sausage meat (I used thyme and chestnut flavour)
- 15-20 whole cooked chestnuts
- 200g brie cheese
- 1 small egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- 1 tbsp seeds (for garnish)
Directions (Makes 18)
- To make the rough puff pastry, in a large bowl add the flour, salt and butter. Rub the butter into the dough to make breadcrumbs, but leaving some large chunks of butter.
- Make a well in the centre and add the cold water, mix until a dough forms.
- Working very quickly, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and make 3 single folds, one after the other. You can use your hands to flatten the dough, or use a rolling pin if you prefer.
- Wrap tightly in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c fan or 200c oven. Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper or silicone mats.
- Roll the dough into a large rectangle, roughly 14 x 12 inches so you have the length of the pastry towards you. Trim the edges and cut horizontally through the middle so you have two long rectangles.
- Spread the cranberry sauce over each rectangle of pastry, leaving a 1inch gap along the top edge.
- Divide the sausage meat into 2 and roll into a long log (the same length as your pastry) and place onto of the cranberry sauce, flatten the sausage meat slightly.
- Cut the brie into lengths and lay them onto of the sausage meat, followed by the chestnuts.
- Egg wash the top 1inch length of bare pastry.
- Roll the pastry up over the filling, repeat with the second pastry.
- Cut each log onto 9 portions and arrange onto a baking tray, spread a few centermetres apart.
- Eggwash and sprinkle over the seeds.
- Bake for 25-30 mins or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool slightly before eating.
Re-heat in an oven for 8-10 minutes.
Store in an airtight container, these will last up to 4 days in the fridge.
The Latest from instagram
Please share your results with @hannahbakescake on Instagram
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License