Flakey and buttery scones packed with 6 different cheeses and fresh thyme
- 300g plain flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 140g grated cheese, mix of:
- 120g cold unsalted butter
- 160ml cold whole milk
- For the topping:
- 30ml double cream
- 1-2 tbsp grated parmesan
Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1 tsp flakey salt
- 1 tsp onion granuales
- 1 tsp garlic granuales
- 1tsp poppy seeds
- 1tsp black seasame seeds
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c fan. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking power, salt, pepper, paprika and thyme.
- Rub in the cold butter you are not wanting breadcrumbs but some lumps and thin flat pieces of butter.
- Toss in the cheeses and coat well in the flour mix.
- Add the cold milk and combine until you get a very shaggy dough.
- Tip the dough onto a surface and gently form into a rough rectangle and perform a single fold followed by another single fold.
- Gently press the dough using your hands in a rectangle and cut into 8 small squares.
- Arrange the squares spaced apart on the baking tray.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ‘everything bagel seasoning’ ingredients.
- Brush over the cream on the top of the scones. Sprinkle over as much of the everything bagel seasoning, to taste, and top with grated parmesan.
- Bake for 22 mins or until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
These scones are best enjoyed fresh from the oven and ideally, consumed on the same day. They will keep up to 3 days in an air-tight container. Either re-heat in the oven for 8 mins on 180c fan or 200c oven, or preferably, sliced in half and toasted.
The scones can be wrapped tightly in cling film and frozen for 1 month.
The Latest from instagram
Please share your results with @hannahbakescake on Instagram
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License